Search site

Licences and permits

  • Alcohol licensing

    You need to apply to us for a licence to sell alcohol in Dumfries and Galloway. The sale of alcohol without the appropriate licence is a criminal offence.

  • Cooling tower registration

    You must tell us if you control non-domestic premises which have cooling towers or evaporative condensers (notifiable devices).

  • Divisional Licensing Boards

    The Dumfries and Galloway Licensing Boards are the statutory licensing authority under the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 and the Gambling Act 2005.

  • Harvesting of shellfish

    Shellfish placed on the market for human consumption must come from a classified production area. This helps to control the risk of illness.

  • Permission for demonstrations, marches and parades

    You need permission to hold a public demonstration, march or parade.

  • Register a dairy farm

    If you have a dairy production holding then you must register your details with us.

  • Petroleum licence

    If you have a business and dispense petrol mechanically or electrically into motor vehicles you will need a petroleum storage certificate (PSC).

  • Animal welfare and licensing

    We enforce legislation that protects livestock, farm animals, feedstuffs and the integrity of the human food chain.

  • Fireworks and explosives licence

    Businesses that store fireworks and other explosives need to be licensed with us or the Health and Safety Executive.

  • Business licences

    You need a licence from us to trade in certain businesses.

  • Public entertainment licences

    You will need a licence from us if you intend to provide entertainment which members of the public are admitted, even if the event is free.

  • Register your food business

    We're responsible for regulating food safety at premises across the region where food is stored, prepared, distributed or sold (for profit or not). New businesses must register with us at least 28 days before they start trading and we need to know within 28 days if any details change.

Page last updated: 26/02/16