We're working with our partners to tackle poverty in the region and support our priority of protecting the most vulnerable people.
We have made a strong commitment to tackling poverty. We want to
- prevent people from falling in to poverty
- support people who are currently in poverty
- provide assistance to people to help them get out of poverty.
Actions to tackle poverty
We are working closely with partners, our communities and people facing the challenge of poverty to make sure we get the most effective approaches in place.
The council budget includes funding to help tackle poverty. We've agreed an Anti-Poverty Strategy and we've already taken forward a number of simple actions:
- Co-ordinating information and support for people facing poverty
- Raising awareness of poverty with staff in schools
- Gaining accreditation as a Living Wage employer
- Encouraging our suppliers to adopt the Living Wage
Find out more about the strategy and actions we're taking:
Finding help and support
We're currently working with Third Sector Dumfries and Galloway to source information from every organisation in the region which aims to prevent and eradicate poverty. The information will be used to create an up-to-date database which will make it easier for people to find the right help and support. It will also allow organisations to:
- develop partnership opportunities and collaborative working
- establish a new e-mail network
- share best practice
- avoid duplication of services
- re-focus support to where it is most needed
Living Wage Accreditation
We have produced a toolkit to assist other local authorities in achieving accreditation as a living wage employer.