Planning advice and enquiries
You can ask us for general planning advice, find out if planning permission is likely to be approved or make a more formal enquiry about a major development before submitting an application.
General planning advice
A duty officer is available Tuesday to Thursday between 10am and 1pm to provide general advice on the planning system and processes.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call 01387 260199
- Visit Ashwood House in Stranraer (every second Thursday)
- Visit Kirkbank House in Dumfries (Tuesday, Wednesday and every second Thursday)
Pre-application enquiries (major developments)
We can provide detailed advice on the suitability of a proposal for major developments before an application is submitted. An enquiry form is available which explains the information that we'll need to be able to provide an accurate response.
Send your completed form to Kirkbank House, English Street, Dumfries, DG1 2DD.
We aim to respond to most enquiries about major developments within 6 weeks. We'll use the information you give us to research the history of a site, check for similar proposals and look into planning restrictions.
Pre-application enquiries (other developments)
We are currently unable to provide pre-application advice on any other proposals but advice and information on the most common types of development is available:
- Alterations and extentions to dwellinghouses [827kb] - detailed advice to guide the design of your house extension or alteration
- Planning for Small Scale Residential Development [1Mb] - will assist those planning to build either a single dwellinghouse or a small residential development of up to four houses
- Housing in the countryside [3Mb] - information requirements for planning applications submitted for new dwellings on the basis of agricultural or rural business need
- Planning for Small and Medium Businesses [3Mb] - guidance on planning for a range of small business types as well as general business and industry proposals in urban areas.
You should refer to our adopted guidance for other types of development and advice on particular themes.
Other sources of support
Planning applications we receive are assessed against land allocations and policies within the Local Development Plan which sets out a vision for how Dumfries and Galloway will look in 20 years time and describes where development will take place and where it will not.
PAS is a national charity providing free impartial, confidential and independent advice on all planning matters. Their free advice can help members of the public and community groups understand the processes involved.
The Architects Registration Board is an independent body which regulates architects in the UK. You can search their register to find genuine and qualified architects in your area:
Sign up for email newsletters
You can subscribe to email updates to get the latest news from our planning service straight to your inbox.
These updates will not provide information on specific applications, you should register on our planning system if you want to track applications and receive alerts about new applications.