Food waste recycling in Wigtownshire
Residents in the Wigtownshire area can recycle food waste every week by using their recycling caddies.
Residents in Annandale & Eskdale, Nithsdale and the Stewartry still have household waste collected every week by using their wheeled bins or white branded council refuse sacks.
We're in the process of updating our online calendars to reflect the new collection services. In the meantime, call 030 33 33 3000 to find out which day your waste is collected.
The large caddy should be put out on the kerbside by 7:30am on your collection day. We can provide an assisted collection service for people who have difficulty handling a food caddy.
Roadworks, breakdowns or unexpected events can often delay waste collections. You can consider your collection to have been 'missed' if we've not collected it by 4pm on your normal collection day. Let us know if our crew missed your waste:
What you can recycle
You can use your food caddy to recycle all types of cooked and uncooked food:
- meat and bones
- fruit and cores
- vegetables and peelings
- bread, cakes and pastries
- rice, pasta and beans
- fish (including bones and skin)tea bags and coffee grounds
- leftovers when preparing meals
- leftovers from meals
- hard fats and lard
- out of date food
- pet food (including meat and dry food)
What you can't recycle
There are some things you can't put in your food caddy:
- plastic bags or wrappers
- food packaging
- liquids or oils
- pet waste
- straw or other animal bedding products
How to recycle
- Put one of the free biodegradable liners into your kitchen caddy.
- Put all cooked and uncooked food waste into your kitchen caddy.
- Scrape leftover food off plates - including bones.
- Remove the liner from your kitchen caddy and replace with a new liner.
- Tie the full liner and place it in your kerbside caddy or use the communal food waste bin if you have one.
- Place your kerbside caddy at the kerbside by 7.30am every week on your collection day.
The free liners we provide are biodegradable and suitable for the processing plant. Don't use other types of bags to line your caddy.
Tie an unused liner (or any plastic bag) to the handle of your kerbside caddy when you're running low. We'll put more liners inside your caddy when we empty it.
You can collect more liners from your nearest Customer Service Centre.
New and replacement caddies
Let us know if you need new or replacement caddies. This could include moving to a new property, a larger household or your caddies being lost, stolen or damaged:
- Email email@example.com
- Call 030 33 33 3000