Search site

Bus passes for disabled people

You can travel free on buses across Scotland if you live in this area and have a disability. Dumfries and Galloway services to and from Carlisle are also free.

Complete an application form at any of our Customer Service Centres.

Assisted applications are available via computer booths in Dumfries, Lockerbie, Newton Stewart and Stranraer. Staff can check documents, take a photograph, complete an electronic application and order your bus pass straightaway.

Proof of eligibility

You can get a bus pass if you meet one of the qualifying criteria. The evidence we need as proof of eligibility depends on the reason you are applying.

In some cases, a carer or companion might be entitled to travel with you at no cost. Your card will include a special symbol to show someone can travel with you for free.

Grounds for applyingEvidence requiredCompanion or carer travel included?
Receive the high/middle rate of Disability Living Allowance care componentDBD384 letter from the Department of Work and PensionsYes
Receive Attendance Allowance or Constant Attendance AllowanceLetter from the Department of Work and PensionsYes
Live in a care home, residential home or hospitalLetter from the Department of Work and Pensions or a letter from the Care Home Manager confirming that you are resident and receive 24 hour nursing careYes
Registered blindRegistration certificate or a letter from the RNIBYes
Receive the high/middle rate of Disability Living Allowance mobility componentLetter from the Department of Work and PensionsNo
Blue Badge holderBlue Badge, V11 from DVLA showing (disabled) tax class or award letter from the Department of Work and Pensions showing high rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living AllowanceNo
Profoundly or severely deaf in both earsLetter or report from your Audiologist, Hospital Consultant or Registered Society for the DeafNo
Registered partially sightedRegistration certificate or a letter from the RNIBNo
Refused a driving licence or had your licence revoked on medical groundsDVLA letter with reference D206, D235, D220 or NS57 or similarNo
Mental illness, learning difficulty or personality disorderNCT002 certificate completed by a qualified medical professionalNo
Terminal illnessAward notice for higher or middle rate of Disability Living Allowance / Attendance Allowance or a DS1500 report, hospice admittance letter or confirmation that you are registered on a Scottish hospice registerNo
Progressive degenerative conditionLetter from your hospital consultant confirming that your condition is considered a 'progressive degenerative condition that severely impedes your mobility and ability to carry out day to day activities'No
Lost one or more limbsLetter from the Department of Work and Pensions or your prosthetic clinic/centre, physiotherapist or rehabilitation centreNo
Injured veteran with mobility problemsA certification letter from the Service Personnel and Veterans AgencyNo
Receive War Pensioner Mobility SupplementA letter from the Veterans Agency or Ministry of DefenceNo


You'll need to provide a colour passport photo. Photos must:

  • be taken against a plain background
  • be recent and recognisable
  • be clear and in focus
  • only include your head and shoulders
  • not include headwear (unless for religious reasons)

Proof of age

You'll need to provide one of the following as proof of age:

  • passport
  • birth certificate
  • photo driving licence
  • attendance allowance award letter

Proof of address

You'll need to provide one of the following as proof of address:

  • recent council tax bill
  • recent utility bill
  • recent bank statement
  • television licence
  • letter from a care home

Recent documents must be dated within the last 3 months.

Receiving your card

Your application will be checked and sent away to be processed. You should get your bus pass within 2 weeks, it will be sent to the address you provided.

Lost, stolen or damaged cards

Let us know if your bus pass is lost, stolen or damaged so that we can arrange a replacement. Call 030 33 33 3000 or visit one of our customer service centres.

Renewing your card

Your card is valid for a maximum of 3 years and you'll need to provide up-to-date proof of your disability at one of our Social Work offices before you can renew the pass.

Page last updated: 29/09/17