Payments to councillors
Councillors receive an annual salary and can claim money to cover certain expenses. All payments are subject to Income Tax and National Insurance.
Salaries and expenses
There are 4 levels of salary paid to councillors depending on their role, the figures are set by the Scottish Government. Current levels of pay are:
- Leader of the Council - £33,857
- Depute Leader - £25,392
- Senior Councillor - £18,399 or £23,202 (varies based on responsibilities)
- Councillor - £16,927
Councillors can also claim expenses to cover the costs of travel, accommodation and meals that are necessary to undertake official duties.
Telephones and computers
We provide councillors with mobile phones and computer equipment to carry out their council business. We pay the cost directly but the figures are included in the information we publish about each councillor's expenses.
We're required to publish a record of the payments made to councillors each year. View expenses for the last three years:
- Members' salaries and expenses 2016/17 [147kb]
- Members' salaries and expenses 2015/16 [52kb]
- Members' salaries and expenses 2014/15 [55kb]
We also publish copies of any claim forms submitted for expenses each month. View claims from the last six months:
- Expenses claims - July 2017 [54kb]
- Expenses claims - June 2017 [51kb]
- Expenses claims - May 2017 [52kb]
- Expenses claims - April 2017 [53kb]
- Expenses claims - March 2017 [53kb]
You can ask to see our payment and claim records (and older documents) in person by writing to Legal and Regulatory, Council Offices, English Street, Dumfries, DG1 2DD.
Detailed guidance on our arrangements is available to download: